Storm Damage Claims

Today’s storms in Illinois and Indiana have been classified by the National Weather Service as a “PDS” — Particularly Dangerous Situation.  Many of the storm cells blew through the area at speeds near 70 mph.  These storms are known to have caused significant damage in both Illinois and Indiana.

In the aftermath of a large storm, you may need to know what coverage you have for storm damage.


A typical homeowners insurance policy includes the following coverage parts:

Coverage A – Damage to your home

Coverage B – Damage to other structures including garage, deck or swimming pool

Coverage C – Loss or damage to the contents of your home

Coverage D – Loss of use in case your home is not inhabitable

Coverage E – Personal liability to third parties

Coverage F – Medical payments to third parties

Following a storm, the most likely coverages you may need to consider are A, B, C, and D.  Most typical homeowners policies cover damage caused by tornadoes or thunderstorms, but there are some conditions and exclusions you must be aware of when you have a loss or a claim.

Business Owners and Commercial Policies

Most business owners and commercial policies also cover storm damage.  Again, there are conditions and exclusions that must be considered in the event of a loss or claim.  In addition to coverage for damage to the commercial building or contents, many policies provide coverage for business income losses that occur during the time the business is unable to operate, as well as coverage for extra expenses incurred in taking certain actions such as temporarily relocating the business or taking actions to minimize the amount of business income lost during the recovery period.

There are many potential pitfalls for homeowners and business owners who suffer a loss and need to make a claim.  It is important for the insured to have a good working understanding of the types of coverage provided in their policy, whether the policy pays actual cash value or replacement cost, how claims are to be submitted, and how losses are to be paid.

For claim help, contact the property damage litigation partners at Parr Richey.